[Edu-sig] Python comes to Henry Sibley H.S.

Timothy Wilson wilson@visi.com
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 19:43:06 -0600 (CST)

Hi everyone,

I'm excited to report that my proposal to offer an "Introduction to Computer
Programming" course at the high school where I teach was accepted and 75
students have signed up for next fall. We're a high school of about 1500
students in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area and I was hoping to get
enough for one section. We'll need three sections to accomodate 75
students. Unfortunately, we don't have the computer lab space currently to
offer three sections. I'm hopeful that given the obvious demand for the
course a solution can be worked out by fall.

I was initially inspired by Jeff Elkner's program at Yorktown and I know
there are others teaching Python in high schools. As someone who hasn't
taught programming before (my background is chemistry and physics), I'd
definitely be interested in pointers to whatever curriculum repositories are
available. Maybe it would be helpful to make some links to the schools that
are using Python.

Wishing-I-was-in-Long-Beach-next-week-ly yours,
Tim

--
Tim Wilson      | Visit Sibley online:         | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/