[Edu-sig] A fact on the ground

Jeffrey Elkner jeff@elkner.net
04 Jan 2001 16:40:23 -0500

On 04 Jan 2001 11:04:56 -0800, Kirby Urner wrote:
> It's just that math courses are cram packed with stuff
> it makes sense to program around.  So even IF the computer
> science or programming courses ARE offered separately
> down the hall, by other teachers, my sincere hope is that
> the math teachers don't sit on their hands and make do
> with mere calculators, while the real party passes them
> by.

It doesn't "make sense" to program around math stuff to someone who
finds math unpleasant to begin with.  Instead, they associate
programming
with math and  become convinced that programming is not for them either.

> Math class should be fully endowed with high tech, not
> languish as a "calculator ghetto" while all the good stuff
> happens in other areas.

Graphing calculators are getting powerful enough to qualify as "good
stuff",
and they have the added advantage of being possible to use.  Even in
a compartively wealthy school district like Arlington, there is very
limited
opportunity for math classes to have access to computer labs.  Graphing
calculators, by contrast, are affordable.  I'm not at all saying that we
shouldn't advocate curriculum integration, but if we are serious about
having an impact we need to have a real sense of the possible.

jeff elkner
yorktown high school
arlington, va