[Edu-sig] A fact on the ground

Arthur_Siegel@rsmi.com Arthur_Siegel@rsmi.com
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 19:01:38 -0600

Any kind of programming one might be doing of any seriousness- math related or

not -
it is a means to some end, not an end to itself.

That statement would  seem to be supportable by everyone who posted up on the
topic.

If programming is going to be introduced into the school system, it should earn

its
place - be a means to some end

Which is a more controversial statement, perhaps, but reasonable I think, where

precious
resources are being consumed, and a small percentage of the students are likely

to have
a lifelong interest in the subject.

So it is not so such a matter of introducing  programming in a math curriculum,

but enhancing
math education with the tool.

One does need to buy-in that a grounding in and excitement about math is a
worthy goal

And I hope we are not at the point where that is a controversial matter.

The best intentions of using elementary programming skills to enhance other
fundamental subject
matter in fundamental ways has been discussed abstractly

Kirby's work  - which he knows  well I have my own quibbles with -  is well
beyond the abstract discussion
stage.  We know we are talking about something real

So hoping we send the math teachers to Kirby's math school rather tham
Industrial Artists to Java school,
should not be a suggestion that should raise many hackles here, I would think.