[Edu-sig] Exploring Bernoulli Numbers

Arthur_Siegel@rsmi.com Arthur_Siegel@rsmi.com
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 19:27:15 -0600

Kirby writes -

>"Math appreciation" means being able to follow what others
>have done _without_ making the claim that you could or
>should be able to do the same.  We need to take away the
>notion that the only math worth reading, playing with,
>exploring, is math you have the capacity or ability to
>reinvent yourself, from scratch, ab initio.

I certainly also appreciate the point Kirby makes.

And would like to give some emphasis to an analogous point.

The same principal very much applies to programming.
If we can get students to the point of being able to read source
and understand the gist of how the code accomplishes what
 it does , we would be accomplishing a lot as educators. This
despite the fact that creating that same code might be well
beyond the current reach of that student.

I for one could read Python code, well before I could write much
of it.

Seems the natural learning progression

And brings other integrated curriculum possibilities to the
table.

Sort of the code as text concept I think I have raised before.

ART