[Edu-sig] Proposing / defending Python in a curriculum

Todd Whittaker twhittaker@columbus.rr.com
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 17:13:10 -0500 (EST)

Hello from a recent Python convert!

I work as a professor at a local branch of a national technical college.
For the past year, I've been struck by the sheer number of students who
cannot formulate a solution to simple algorithmic problems.  This is due
in part to the sheer number of "buzz" languages that they're taught
(Visual Basic, C, C++, Java, and Cobol), and the lack of depth in each of
them (one semester each).

The faculty here have recently been involved in changing the curriculum so
that at most three languages (perhaps only 2) will be taught, and that we
can now have some depth to them.  I would like to propose that Python be
used as the main OOP language for a 2.5 semester sequence.  Thus, I have
several questions that I'd like to ask of this community at large:

1.  Have any college programs made such a "radical" switch from
    teaching a mainstream language (C++, Java) to Python specifically.
    I'm aware of the several Scheme based programs, but I'm interested
    in Python based success stories.  I'm also aware of the work
    in Yorktown HS by Jeff Elkner.

2.  Has anybody written up proposals that were presented to the
    powers-that-be concerning such a switch.  This is what I need to
    do in order to spearhead this project.

3.  Where is the data concerning the pedagogical effectiveness of
    Python over other more mainstream languages?  I've looked at the
    CP4E pages, information about Alice, and TeachScheme, and
    nearly all of them generalize (and aren't Python-specific)

4.  How can I overcome the prejudice of the Administration toward a
    non-mainstream language?  My institution is exceptionally "market
    driven", and if there is no market for Python, it will be hard to
    sell, "Yes, but this makes better programmers who can easily
    switch to Java once they master algorithms."

5.  Of course, there's the textbook problem.  Is there a suitable
    textbook, complete with end-of-chapter review and exercise
    problems, transparencies, and testbanks?  (Personally, I like
    making my own transparencies and tests, but other faculty members
    appreciate them.)

Thanks for any feedback.

--
Todd