[Edu-sig] What's Blender go to do with it

Jason Cunliffe jasonic@nomadicsltd.com
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 03:57:15 -0500

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~acox/index.html

<quote>
Andrew Cox
Welcome to my home page.

Right now I have two things for you to look at. There is my (voxel modeling
/ volume sculpting / ...) tool Cavernosa and my Python binding for GLUT
PyGlut.
My main interest in life is programming, primarily in relation to 3d
graphics and games. A current enthusiasm is the free 3d modeling. animation
and rendering package Blender. If you don't know it, you should definitely
check it out. It runs on most operating systems out there including Linux
and MS Windows. Be warned however that it has an extremely steep learning
curve. After a bit of initial effort, using it does become very natural in
the end. At the end of december 2000 there was a release with a very capable
new game engine included. Some headline features include Physics done by a
former GDC speaker on collision detection and Python integrated into the
game logic.

For programmers, Blender includes the Python interpreter, exposing a full
OpenGL binding as well as GUI componants and access to internals such as
meshes, lamps etc. This makes it a great environment for the compositional
programming paradigm where the main part of your application is in compiled
loadable modules (DLLs on MS Windows) and the high level 'glue' such as a
GUI is in a scripting language, so can be changed without recompilation. See
Cavernosa for an example of this in action.

I am interested in talking to any indie game developers and indie game
publishers in the UK as well as any talented 3d modelers and other potential
developers in London.

How to Reach Me
Email is your best bet: acox@globalnet.co.uk.
</quote>

..'nuff said?

- Jason
Jason CUNLIFFE = NOMADICS['Interactive Art and Technology']