[Edu-sig] re: Computer science without all that "heavy math" stuff...?

Arthur_Siegel@rsmi.com Arthur_Siegel@rsmi.com
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:43:36 -0500

>I am actually taking the opposite approach. Having not been exposed to much
>math, I use Python and other programming languages to teach me math. It
>provides some meaningful context, enabling me to see why mathematics is
>important and can be useful. Every cheezy little script I can write (and the
>ones that fail, as well) teaches me more about computing and how it works. I
>actually find that some of the advanced theory I learned even in Psychology
>and Philosophy becomes tangibly useful when I sit down to code. The obscure
>theoretical material is important, even if not visibly so. And I mostly
>program for simple pleasure.

Sounds quite similar to my experience.

My Python and math evangilism have become quite intertwined - as Python
became for me a tool that has made math accessible in quite fresh and
exciting ways.

Quite strange how we have gotten math tucked into some corner.
Perhaps it is my own make-up,  but I have come to see it as the finest kind
of exercise of the imagination.

In my opinion,  it is tragic that math has become so isolated from the Liberal

Arts
education. That much harder to sympathize with the plea to isolate it from a
 CS education.

ART