[Edu-sig] Python resources CD available

Timothy Wilson wilson@visi.com
Sat, 9 Jun 2001 01:47:15 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Daniel Yoo wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Jun 2001, Timothy Wilson wrote:
>
> > We definitely need to improve the software section of the CD to make it more
> > complete and uniform in its presentation. We've include Pysol and VPython in
> > addition to the Python 2.1 distributions for Win, Linux, and Mac. There are
> > certainly many more third-party programs and modules that could be added.
>
> Is it practical and possible to have pydoc's help() function autoloaded by
> bundling a modified interpreter?  There was some discussion about a
> feature like this on the tutor mailing list.  Having help() autoloaded
> like this would be helpful for students: they'd be able to look at the
> Python documentation more easily, without always having to type:
>
>     from pydoc import help
>
> all the time.

Yes, I've followed that discussion on the tutor list too. I think some sort
of interactive help would be great. I'm afraid modifying the interpreter is
a bit beyond me at this point, however. Making the CD more interactive would
be very cool, no doubt.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      |   Visit Sibley online:   | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS |  http://www.isd197.org   | http://www.zope.org