[Edu-sig] cgi...

Dustin Mitchell dustin@cs.uchicago.edu
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 16:41:01 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Higor Aparecido Vieira Alves wrote:

> 	I need create a cgi to change password in passwd. What's modules I
> use?

To do that, you'd need to run your CGI as root (no other user can modify
/etc/passwd).  Running a CGI as root is an *exceedingly* bad idea, as it
opens your system up to all manner of security vulnerabilities.

That said, the 'pwd' module allows (read-only) access to the passwd
database, and the 'crypt' module exposes the one-way function UNIX systems
use to encode passwords.

Good luck!

Dustin

| Dustin Mitchell                                        )O(        |