[Edu-sig] RE: [Idle-dev] IDLE's save-before-run requirement

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien@orbtech.com
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:55:12 -0500

I can't give a whole lot of feedback except to say that I'd hate to see IDLE
abandoned. Maybe there needs to be an effort to get more people involved in
its upkeep. I'm copying this reply to the Edu and Tutor lists, because IDLE
comes up in conversations over there quite a bit. I think there might be
enough interest to motivate some folks. We certainly had things going when
we figured out how to get Python to respond to "help" in interactive
sessions. Maybe we could come up with a way to keep development of IDLE
moving along without the entire burden falling on Guido.

---
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech
"I am, therefore I think."

-----Original Message-----
From: idle-dev-admin@python.org [mailto:idle-dev-admin@python.org]On Behalf
Of Wesley Chun
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2001 7:11 PM
To: idle-dev@python.org
Subject: [Idle-dev] IDLE's save-before-run requirement

the subject of this message is basically to get some feedback on
having to save a script within IDLE before running it.  when i'm
making a good number of small changes to my file, doing separate
sets of keystrokes started to get old, so i hacked together a
small patch that allows you to "save-n-run."

i thought i'd get Guido's opinion b4submitting a PEP.  he suggested
i also get some more comments from here.  below is basically what i
proposed and his response.

please direct any comments to me (and/or the group).  thanks!

-wesley