[Edu-sig] Switching gears..

Arthur_Siegel@rsmi.com Arthur_Siegel@rsmi.com
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:39:40 -0600

Kirby wrote -

>I think I'll give up pursuing the "math through programming"
>thread with the math teachers.  I'll stay in contact with
>the few with an interest who got in touch, but most of the
>time it's like talking to a brick wall.

If any consolation, you're doing well at least when preaching to
the converted.

The concept in "Overcome" of looking at code as an alternative
form of math notation  -  with the added feature that it not only
says what it means, but does what it says it means - certainly
sells me.

It is interesting that our agendas do diverge  - I think you consider
yourself an innovator looking to revamp math education from
the ground-up with new fundamental concepts,  and I consider myself in
many ways a reactionary, looking to restore something
that I believe once was, and got lost .  And yet we agree on so much.

Not that that fact gets either of our agendas anywhere.

ART