[Edu-sig] Re: switching gears (and how)

Lloyd Hugh Allen lha2@columbia.edu
Mon, 05 Mar 2001 18:43:45 -0500

Arthinator@aol.com wrote:
> Kirby writes:
> >measuring cups) -- although that could be considered
> >Pythagorean, as I hear the school was really into beans
> >somehow.

Not to make a post completely unrelated to python, but:

The Pythagoreans were vegetarian, except that they did /not/ eat beans,
being as how when you pop a bean open it resembles a foetus.

Now if only I had a footnote for you.
Re: Group Thery:

One of my colleagues at Ohio State,
Jason-whose-last-name-evades-me-right-now, had a neat explanation of
group theory in terms of rotating tires--each permutation is an element
of the group.

To swing it back to Python, could dictionaries and tuples be used to
represent groups?

Had an image for a second there, but now all of the sudden it's gone.
Guess I'll leave the implementation to someone else or another day.