[Edu-sig] [Python-Help] Certification (fwd)

Alan Gauld agauld@crosswinds.net
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 08:53:43 +0500

>I want to start kids off with Python.  It's the best language

I won't argue with that...

> Right now they start on Visual Basic, which is disgusting.

But I would argue with that.
VB is a far better language to teach in a
controlled (ie classroom) environment than
say Java or, worse still, C++. It's certainly not
disgusting, modern VB has most of the things
needed for teaching introductory programming.

But Python is better because it takes you further
before running out of steam. :-)

>a Python certification program, that would be good
>enough for the board of education.

Sorry, can't help you there. I can't even get my
employer to feel happy about Python, never mind
an education authority!

Alan G.