[Edu-sig] Student Assignment Styles

Jeffrey Elkner jeff@elkner.net
29 Nov 2001 13:59:56 -0500

Hi Bryce!

What I do first is assign small exercises from each chapter, and then
assign a big project.  I am using Tim's projects this year, and that has
been a *BIG* help.  (this collaboration thing is really working! ;-)

Not all of the chapters in the text book have enough exercises, which is
something I hope will be able to remedy in the next few weeks.  There
are two very good reasons for doing bigger projects:

1.  The ability to write meaningful programs should be a primary
teaching goal.  Academic programs have often come under criticism by
industry for not preparing students for "real world" programming.  There
is a natural tendancy in academia to focus on small examples that make
the concept transparent without confusing learners with extraneous
details.  The problem is students come away with no understanding of the
software development process itself.  Their learning doesn't scale up to
bigger problems.  This is also the motivation for the case study now
used in the Advanced Placeement program.

2. Big projects are Cool!  My experience is that students like them
because they solve more interesting problems.  Tim is doing a great job
of picking projects that my students enjoy doing (thanks again, Tim!)

jeff elkner
yorktown high school
arlington, va