[Edu-sig] How to deal with strange errors?

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien@orbtech.com
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 13:03:45 -0500

> I'm interested in your opinion about these problems
> and also to contribute to this development, but how?
>
> Regards
> Gregor Lingl

I'll repeat an offer I've made on more than one occassion. As the creator of
PyCrust, I would be more than happy to work with anyone that wanted to
extend its use as a teaching tool. PyCrust is an interactive Python shell
and namespace viewer written in Python with the wxPython gui toolkit.
PyCrust now ships with wxPython (http://www.wxpython.org). The latest
development version is available from CVS at SourceForge
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/pycrust).

All the foundation work is done. The PyCrust environment can be manipulated
like any other Python object and was designed to be modular and extendable.
PyCrust has many features that lend themselves to a teaching environment,
like autocompletion, calltips, a namespace tree, command recall and full
multi-line editing. But it still has most (if not all) of the flaws that
were pointed out in this email. I think they are all fixable, but I have a
limited amount of time and energy that I can devote to this. What's missing
is someone with a little imagination that wanted to take the lead and run
with this. Let me know if anyone is interested.

---
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech