[Edu-sig] Does edu-sig extend to Jython?

Jason Cunliffe Jason Cunliffe" <jasonic@nomadics.org
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 21:55:36 -0400

An excellent use of Jython is to provide CLI interface for Phil Burke's
remarkable 'Jsyn' - Java Audio Synthesis API.

"JSyn allows you to develop interactive computer music programs in Java. You can
run them as stand-alone applications, or as Applets in a web page using the JSyn
Plugin. JSyn uses native methods written in 'C' to provide real-time audio
synthesis for Java programmers.  JSyn can be used to generate sound effects,
audio environments, or music. JSyn is based on the traditional model of unit
generators which can be connected together to form complex sounds. For example,
you could create a wind sound by connecting a white noise generator to a low
pass filter that is modulated by a random contour generator."

http://www.softsynth.com/jsyn/

http://www.softsynth.com/jsyn/slides/

http://www.softsynth.com/jsyn/examples/

http://music.columbia.edu/%7Ebrad/jlooch/

For Edu-Sig JSyn/Jython is another beautiful bridge between modeling,
interactivity, and wave formation with sinaesthetic feedback. Lots for
teacher/student/programmer to explore.

When I raised the topic of Jython on the Jsyn list a while back, Robert Marsyani
replied:

"I did a little experimenting with jython/jsyn and liked it.
It's nice to be able to instantiate 20 oscillators by typing in a 3-line
loop and executing it right there..."

I have not still used Jython for Jsyn yet as I've been really slow exploring
Jython. But
I don't know Java. Verbose, and the installation and changing terminology keeps
me confused. But Java is potent and the APIs get better all the time like
Python. Often when I install some cool new Java thing it I breaks some other
cool Java thing. I am pleased to say that to date Jsyn has been very
well-behaved. Have been put off diving in deeper with it for lack of Java
skills. Jython offers the best of both worlds as far as I can tell.

Yesterday in B&N was browsing the O'Reilly 'Jython Essentials' book. Seemed
lucid, readable and helpful. Any recommendations about this or Jython for Java P
rogrammers by Robert W. Bill ?

./Jason
Jason Cunliffe [NOMADICS: Director art+design]
Tel/fax: +1 718 422-1078 jasonic@nomadics.org
N 43:00.000' W 074:31.875' ALT:1144 ft
84 Henry Street #3C Brooklyn  NY 11201     USA