[Edu-sig] re: Does edu-sig extend to Jython

Arthur ajs@ix.netcom.com
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 11:23:39 -0400

Jason writes -
>>An excellent use of Jython is to provide CLI interface for Phil Burke's
>>remarkable 'Jsyn' - Java Audio Synthesis API.

As a general statement, obviously a beauty of Jython is the
ability to access Java libraries and apps from Python.

But certainly there is a "learning to program" aspect in
addition..

>From my own experience - my exploration of Jpython
led naturally into an exploration of Java.  At some point
the transition to writing pure Java came easily.

The fact that I ended up returning to CPython almost
surprised me.  But it happens that VPython provided me
with most of the 3d graphics capabilities I needed and had been
looking to Java libraries to provide,  and that I "think better"
in Python - partly because it feel more finite and with
less "magic" to it.

What I miss most about Java, though,  is one particular brand of magic -
method overloading.

>From the user prospective, for the kind of thing I am
doing, it greatly simplified things.

For example, I could provide for a class
taking two arguments of different type to accept the
arguments in either order.  In Python I need to either use
named argments, or handle it on initialization in ways
that get to be complex, or use separate classes, or expect
my user to learn or reference the acceptable order of
argmuents. So far I have put the burden of the user.
Since the only very active user happens to be me -
it works out well enough. Probably less acceptable
for this kind of app if it were to have a wider user
base - especially where the novice is the intended
audience.

Advice being welcomed on this issue.

Art