[Edu-sig] Women, robots, and Python

Douglas S. Blank dblank@brynmawr.edu
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 16:05:47 -0400

Greetings!

I've just joined this list, and have found the last couple of weeks'
discussions to be right on target for me.

I teach at Bryn Mawr College, an all women's school just getting a
computer science (and cognitive science) program off the ground. The
problems of gender and CompSci are complex ones, but ones that I think
Python has a role in which to play. I hope that discussion continues here.

We aren't ready to teach any courses in Python (yet) but the last
project that I started is written in Python, called Pyro, for Python
Robotics.

It wasn't too long ago that planning a robotics system in an interpreted
language would have seemed insane (and there are probably some that
still think that!) But Python has turned out to work very well for our
uses. One of the main goals was to encourage students to understand all
aspects of the robotic control system, especially the "brains". we also
wanted the system to be able to be used by "real" robotics researchers.

So far, we have succeeded. The system is fast enough to control
different types of robots (with lasers, sonars, and cameras) using
simple Python control programs, to more complex ones written in Fuzzy
logic, or neural networks... all in Python.

You can download (or just checkout) Pyro at
http://emergent.brynmawr.edu/wiki/?Pyro

I look forward to conversations on intro teaching, gender issues,
robots, and Python. Thanks,

-Doug

--
Douglas S. Blank,         Assistant Professor
dblank@brynmawr.edu,            (610)526-6501