[Edu-sig] re: Does edu-sig extend to Jython

Arthur ajs@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 00:40:01 -0400

Kirby writes -

>If you have just 3 parameters, that's six permutations right there.
>Four parameters means 4!=24 possible function signatures.  No Java
>programmer want's to provide 24 ways of calling the exact same
>function with the exact same parameters -- just in different order.
>That would seem insane.

If there is no good reason, its insane.

If there is a good reason, it's 4 hours work that stands there
as long as you want it to. (Or at least until 3.0 comes out).
Not exactly like building houses out of soda cans -
whatever the hell I mean by that.

But as I say, I don't see what the good reason would be if
I were working in Java.

But I do think I know why I would be wanting to accomplish
it in my exact circumstances.  Will look closer, and back-off of it if it
proves truly unwieldy.

Art