[Edu-sig] re: Does edu-sig extend to Jython

Arthur Arthur" <ajs@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:28:59 -0400

Kirby writes -

>Whatever the solution, it shouldn't add the overhead of slower
>speed.  As a user, I don't want a programmer bending over
>backwards to accommodate my ignorance of programming, at the
>price of giving me slow-moving bloatware ala some Microsoft
>products.

Agreed.  I'm figuring that whatever I do in the initialization routines
will manifest itself, in the worst case, as a second or two at
start-up.  The update cycles - where the performance does really count -
needs to be quite free of this kind of isinstance, or switch/case, or
whatever.

>Why would you feel different about your user if it were a Java
>app?  Don't you want the same freedoms to pass parameters in
>any order, no matter what the language?  Just curious.

I tried to make that clear, and think it goes to the bottom of why I feel
confident that I am in the right place with Python for what I am trying
to do.  To me "immediate mode" with dynamic typing versus compile cycle
with static typing should be recognized as two very different
experiences, with very different needs.  I guess I consider myself
as to be trying to build an SUI - script users interface.  There are very
specific and compelling (to me) reasons that I don't want to go too
far toward either the GUI side, or  the API side.

Art