[Edu-sig] Re: executable flowcharts--nsd-editor

Christian Mascher mascher@crg.ha.nw.schule.de
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 14:25:25 +0100

> From: Todd Whittaker <todd@thewhittakers.org>
> To: Python in education <edu-sig@python.org>
> Subject: [Edu-sig] Executable pseudocode / executable flowcharts
>
> Hey all,
>
> I can make a good case in education for Python as a first language
> because, as everyone claims, it it executable pseudo-code.  I know it.  I
> believe it.  I've made a case for it.  But, where I work, our students
> need more than just pseudo-code.  What we need is a tool that lets
> students create executable flowcharts as well.

At

http://www-iiuf.unifr.ch/sde/projects/kalt/NSD.html

there is a small tool which lets you draw nassi-shneiderman diagrams and
exports them
to a file with pascal or c-code. I think this is really a neat little
program, useful when teaching procedural programming at introductory
level (control structures). Too bad it isn't geared for python where the
translation between code and the nassi-shneiderman-diagram is very
transparent due to the simple code formatting rules of python.

If I had the time, I would pick something similar as a programming
project in python. With such an editor you could also show your students
that at the level of procedures python and pascal (and C, ...) don't
differ much, its all the same kind of basic structure.

I've also seen that for some beginners a flowchart is a great help in
understanding the nature of an algorithm.

Christian Mascher