[Edu-sig] Where are the girl programmers?

Jeff Sandys sandysj@asme.org
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 13:56:01 -0800 (PST)

I have been trying to get and keep a broad range of
middle school students in the after school programming
club that I supervise.  Some girls show up to the first
sesson but by the second session only the "geek boys"
return.  Some of the suggestions from some female
programmers that I work with are:

* Girls want a woman instructor. (I wish)
* Girls want to solve problems not program. (give problems)
* Girls think in terms of objects not functions.
    (focus on object oriented programming)
* Girls like to socialize. (use pairs programming)

I want to avoid stereotypes, but some differences may
be genetic or an archtype that won't change in the
short term.  Like sports, it needs a special effort
to start getting more women involved in programming.

What are your thoughts on getting and keeping more
middle school girls involved in programming?

Thanks,
Jeff Sandys