[Edu-sig] Python @ Education: What are your problems?

Jeffrey Elkner jeff@elkner.net
30 May 2002 09:12:48 -0400

On Wed, 2002-05-29 at 18:47, Ingo Linkweiler wrote:
> are you using python for teaching programing?

Please see the "Who teaches Python" page at:

http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/pyBiblio/schools.php

As you find schools not listed on the page, I would be grateful if you
could send them my way.  I would like to keep this list as complete and
up to date as possible to facilitate general communication (and aid in
inquiries like yours ;-)

> I am just writing a diploma paper about python and want to know your
> experiences with python.
>
> What do you like when teaching python?
> For example:
> - Easy readable syntax
> - High Level language
> - Lists, Tupels, Dictionaries included
> - interpreter: Everything can be tested
> - Many tools available
>
> AND MORE IMPORTANT:
> What are your problems with python? Are pupils/students having any
> problems or often asked questions?
> What do you dislike at python?
>
> For example:
> - When teaching C or Pascal, newbies do not know, where to set a ";" and
>
> where not. Any similar problems with Python?
> - Why must I set a ":" after "if" or "for" ?  " if x == y : "

I've written two papers about the Yorktown High School experience with
Python.  They can each be found on my homepage:

http://www.elkner.net

I would like to hear back from you regarding the results of your
inquiry.  It would be great if we could include them on the pyBiblio
site.

jeff elkner
yorktown high school
arlington, va