[Edu-sig] Types and true division (was Re: strange output)

Arthur ajs@ix.netcom.com
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 09:35:06 -0400

Morning rounds.

and Micahel writes:

> Numeric typing is important, yes, but when you've got two
>days to teach students programming, you've got to be selective.

2 days.

Maybe I am irretrievable scarred by the fact that my undergardauate degree
is in English literature.  But I can't help feeling the discussion is in
harm of being misdirected when you emphasize in one post that you are
teaching *programming* and don't mention that whatever it is you are
teaching you are teaching in a 2 day course.

I am of recent vintage allowing myself to call what I am capable of doing:
*programming*.  3 or 4 years of fairly intense effort. With allowances for
native intelligence issues and aptitudes, for the natural decay of brain
cells (I'm not 20), and with an additional fudge factor for the long-term
effects of some of my late 1960's and early 1970's recreational ingestions -
maybe someone else could get there is a 1 1/2 or 2..

The issue then remains at least to some extent one of constituencies.  I am
not sure how much I would like to see Python try to configure itself as the
perfect solution to the 2 day programming course. Because the concept itself
is a little bizarre, IMO.

I came across this quote in the book "The Cognitive Computer", by Roger C.
Schank - an artificial intelligence researher, I believe of some note:

"""
There is one very good reason to learn programming, but it has nothing to do
with preparing for high-tech carerrs or with making sure one is computer
literate in order to avoid being cynically manipulated by the computers of
the future.  The real value of learning to program can only be understood if
we look at learning to program as an exercise of the intellect, as a kind of
moden-day Latin that we learn to sharpen our minds.

"""

I was once asked on a Python list in a course of one these contentious
debates, in a not very friendly tone,  who it was I thought I was
representing with my comments. I guess I would  at least like to *think* I
am representing anyone coming to the study of Pythion with that kind of
attitude and and those kinds of goals.  Might not be *the* constituency, but
certainly *a* constituency.

Art