[Edu-sig] re: Types and true division (was Re: strange output)

Arthur ajs@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 12:14:51 -0400

I appreciate the opportunity to respond further.

But we need to try to understand and find some tolerance for the different
languages with which we speak about these issues.

Understand that I am the first to admit that I have nothing to contribute to
these kinds of conversations from a technical point of view.

But learning to program, and learning to program in particular with Python,
is an experience.

That experience -  and what I've taken (so far) from it -  is one that I am
not only prepared, but it seems, anxious, to talk about.

And like many, I feel that you anticipate that experience amazing well.  The
word "fun" always rightfully crops up in a discussion about the Python
experience.

That I have and have had fun with it is nothing unusual.  But perhaps there
is a little bit unusual with how "ground zero" was my starting point, and
how far I've come.

Only because Python is still young. Others have and I trust and hope many
others will share that experience in the future.

> And what would that side effect be?  What's the benefit >of 1/2==0?

Provides the signal and the reminder of the importance of giving attention
to the underlying numeric typing scheme.  Not a complicated or brilliant
point. But real, experientially, IMO.

Art