[Edu-sig] re: Types and true division (was Re: strange output)

Arthur ajs@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 13:38:40 -0400

> [Arthur] >>> Arthur write:
>          >>> Have you responding in any serious way to my point about a
>          >>> potentially harmeful side effect.  In the year over which
this has
>          >>> been discussed.
> [Guido]  >> And what would that side effect be?  What's the benefit >of
1/2==0?
> [Arthur] >
>          > Provides the signal and the reminder of the importance of
giving attention
>          > to the underlying numeric typing scheme.  Not a complicated or
brilliant
>          > point. But real, experientially, IMO.
>
> I can only presume that you also opposed 2**1024 returning a long
> rather than raising an error and dictionary iteration for the same
> reason.

No comprenda.  (Isn't it a *little* refreshing to have someone say that so
candidly on these lists?)

But I would say it is a *significant* no comprenda. Apparently I have not
*experienced* the issues you raise as sigifcant - yet.

But I take the point that you disagree with me.

And I believe that Michael Williams is willingly to acknowledge that as much
as he might dislike with my tone of voice, in the end we have little more
than a small disagreement about emphasis.

But if you were prefer to conclude that I am talking total nonsense - your
privilege.

Why do you think Python was let out into the world this fundamentally
broken, if the issue is as obvious as all that?

Art