lonely programming vs. teamwork => was :{Re: [Edu-sig] re: Types and true division (was Re: strange output)}

Jason Cunliffe Jason Cunliffe" <jasonic@nomadics.org
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 21:41:20 -0400

> Again, your model is the of lone coder, trying to get results,
> wrestling with his or her own confusions and overcoming them.
>
> But what about teams of coders writing stuff that future maintainers
> will need to wrap their heads around?

As a lone programmer myself, I appreciate that.
So recently I have been gently inspired by some good lessons from the Extreme
folks:

http://www.extremeprogramming.org/rules.html

Especially working alone, I find just __thinking__ about their approach has
given me fresh insight. Daily results and testing are something a loner person
can do. It's encouraging. If Extreme Programming is really just a banner for
applying continuous and extreme common sense, then I figure we can all do with
some of that.

Python already has lots and especially when it comes to teamwork [readability].
I am beginning to suspect that many of the 'newbie/novice' issues raised here
are indeed symptomatic of 'lone-ly programmers'.

Of course, I don't mean simply people programming on their own, but rather the
lack of development feedback which comes with concerted team effort. The shining
lights of openSource...

./Jason