[Edu-sig] Fwd: Which way did the chicken cross the road?

Terry Hancock hancock@anansispaceworks.com
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 01:12:04 -0700

On Sunday 13 October 2002 09:35 pm, Jason Cunliffe wrote:
> And what about the vertical column oriented ones?
> Japanese and Chinese used to be al vertical I think, but are they still?

Serious text (e.g. in novels, manga, letters, etc.) in Japanese is still
written vertically, starting from the upper right-hand corner and reading
down, and then to the left. Horizontal text (reading left-to-right) is used
in many technical and mathematical texts, presumeably for ease of mixing with
Western scripts and mathematical notation.  In my experience, horizontal text
is easy to set with Japanese variants of LaTeX, but correctly setting
vertical text still eludes me.

I believe the same is true of Chinese, but I don't have much experience with
that.

Interestingly, since Japanese is written at the word or syllable level, it
causes less dissonance to read it in an unusual direction, and context often
supercedes convention.  I've noticed vehicles labelled front-to-back
regardless of which direction that implies. They extend this practice to
English letters, too, evidently, as I have seen a picture of a Taxi labeled
"IXAT" on the right-hand side of the vehicle (the left-hand side would read
"TAXI" as you'd expect). Same with ships.  (If you think about it, this is
more comfortable since the text will naturally scroll in the right direction
as the vehicle moves).  (Caveat -- I've never been to Japan, so I'm looking
at media sources only).

More traditional Japanese text, such as on signs will sometimes read
horizontally, right-to-left. Presumeably this can be thought of as a series
of columns only one-character high.  The left-to-right "truly horizontal"
mode was introduced from the West.

Cheers,
Terry