[Edu-sig] Electronic assignment submission?

Seabrook, Richard rhseabrook@aacc.edu
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 10:08:04 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Louis Bertrand
To: edu-sig@python.org
Sent: 10/21/02 8:55 AM
Subject: [Edu-sig] Electronic assignment submission?

Not necessarily a Python question (unless the solution is implemented in
Python).

I'm looking for a system to hand in programming assignments
electronically, and return them to the students (IMHO, a trickier
problem). Web, email or other, ideally running on a freenix server
(BSD).

It would be fun to write my own, and I've been looking at pulling mail
attachments via IMAP and the MIME tools, or some sort of Web script.
But if it's already out there...

For just turning them in and you sending back comments, regular
email seems best -- as long as they include the program text
in the body of the message -- processing attachments usually requires
extra steps.  If you want to test the program however, the message
should arrive at the machine where you can run the test -- and you
need to be able to get the program out in runnable form in as few
steps as possible. With only a few programs coming in it doesn't
much matter how you set things up, but when you have 50-60 coming
in they need to be in the right place and easy to process.
I use email for UNIX shell scripts and receive them on a Linux
server where I can save them to a special directory, remove the header
and execute them with a shell.
Dick S.