[Edu-sig] Fw: Python sequences by reference - how to make clear

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 17:03:10 -0400

> > The usual way to make a case for a language (or library) feature is to
> > show a simple but recognizably common coding fragment that would have
> > been made clearer or easier to write (etc.) when the proposed feature
> > is present.
>
> Is it fair for me to suggest that this is not a situation that lends itself
> to this kind of approach.
>
> Trying to introspect on one's own learning experience perhaps brings into
> play factors that are truly intangible, but no less real.
>
> What it boils down to is just a few questions:
>
> My experience is sincerely reported, or it is not.
>
> I am properly understanding that experience, or I am not.
>
> My experience can be generalized, or it can not.
>
> My suggestion is intutively sensible, or it is not.
>
> I am not unwillingly to try to do better than not, but I don't see how to
> conform any such effort into the methodology you suggest.

This sounds like the "zen" approach to language feature suggestions.
You are convinced that a copy() method should be added yet are unable
to provide a single example.

I accept that it is hard for you to come up with an example.

Until you have introspected enough to come up with an example I do not
consider your testimony enough to change the language.  I think that
is fair too.