[Edu-sig] Top 5 All Time Novice Obstacles => #3 Where am I ?

Jason Cunliffe Jason Cunliffe" <jasonic@nomadics.org
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 06:52:00 -0400

> Somehow I found out about doc strings, even though I was a newbie
> once...assuming that folks are learning Python with access to the web,
> and that they are reading tutorials and documentation instead of typing
> random characters a la Shakespearian monkeys waiting for a Python port
> of Unreal Tournament to appear on their terminal, they should be able to
> find doc strings fairly quickly. I know they're one of the first
> features that I teach, when I teach Python each summer.

Lol//Yes.. I love Python doc strings. I think that along with keyword args and
whitepace indentation they are the best things about Python, for beginners and
thus everyone. I wish they were used more deeply, and in more clever ways by
IDLE. REBOL has similar docstrings ideas. Just instering strings in the right
places, before headers in functions etc activates them.

I'eve been starting to go back over the on-line tutorials and books to see which
ones have left these beginner holes/blindpots uncovered. Python has mostly
excellent docs and resuorces. And the higher you go the better it gets in terms
of community support. It's the first weekend espcially those who don't have
great teachers, techy parents or access to bookstores.

I hope people don't misunderstand my "Top 5" posts. I am trying to honestly
remember and invoke the clash of absurd common sense when Novices meet a
super-system like Python. I believe Python is mostly very friendly and suitable
for Edu-Sig. Technically, culturally legally.

But I do suspect everyone is way too smart experienced educated here to remember
any longer what it feels like to start out and be confused and frustrated.  Even
browsing the Python installation is overwhelming - there's so much! That's not a
complaint and cause for celebration.

So how can Python be improved for first time programmers?

I'd like to hear more about your own teaching experiences.

./Jason