[Edu-sig] Top 5 All Time Novice Obstacles => #3 Where am I ?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:07:59 -0400

> ---{NP:} "Bingo!!  Are they kidding - I have to load a frigging 'os' module
> every time just to find out where I am?? This can't be right. I must be doing
> something wrong."

It all depends.  Your most frequent need may not be so common for most
others.  (Plus I would say that you seem to have more DOS or Unix
experience than I expect from a typical newbie.)

> >> ? dir
> Found these words:
>    change-dir      function! Changes the active directory path.
>    dir?            function! Returns TRUE if a file or URL is a directory.
>    dirize          function! Returns a copy of the path turned into a
> directory...
>    jdirs           object!   [pm hw ts trees jabber]
>    list-dir        function! Prints a multi-column sorted listing of a
> director...
>    make-dir        function! Creates the specified directory. No error if
> alrea...
>    what-dir        function! Prints the active directory path
> >> what-dir
> == %/C/rebol/view/

That's not a bad idea.