[Edu-sig] re: Python sequences by reference - how to make

Arthur ajs@ix.netcom.com
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 18:23:03 -0400

Guido had written -

>Until you have introspected enough to come up with an example I do not
consider your testimony enough to change the >language.  I think that is
fair too.

Unfortunately for all concerned I do try to continue to introspect.  And
will continue to express what I am coming up.
And note as a side comment that this (the Python world) is the only forum in
which I ever elected to consistently and
unabashedly make a spectacle of myself.  And I'm not a kid.  Maybe its
something about being a fish out of water - or perhaps I can be kinder to
myself and point to the peculiarities of the forum. Not that I am not having
fun, BTW.

And what I'm zenning up from the nether regions is something to the effect
that the centrality of the concept of copy is
centrality in the negative.  It is difficult to understand, at the
beginning, what one is doing when doing a=b.  And one way to begin to
understand what that is, is to understand what that is not. With no "copy"
clearly on the scene with which to coontrast, that particular important
distinction does not have the opportunity to emerge.  As I piece it
together.

Art