[Edu-sig] Re: Module docs module (Tk utility)

Kirby Urner urnerk@qwest.net
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 13:07:20 -0700

At 09:16 AM 9/22/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>[Rebol help example omitted]
>
>Python's help is so much more modern than Rebol. :-)
>
>It has a GUI for this feature.  Assuming you have Python 2.1.x or
>2.2.x on Windows, go to the Start -> Programs -> Python x.x menu, and
>select "Module docs".  Now type your search string in the text box and
>hit return.  Double-click any of the resulting lines, and stand by for
>a webbrowser window to pop up.

Took awhile to get this working -- old pydoc.pyw in same directory
was messing it up, maybe left over from a previous install.
pydocgui.pyw needs to load the "real" pydoc.py, not this imposter
(which in turn loaded the real one, but too late -- no gui()
attribute in the first one).

Once I got it working, I searched on dir() and got nothing.  Same
with listdir, listdir(), os.listdir() etc.

Opening the browser from this Tk utility (button), and getting the
pink, white and blue view of my own hard drive was a hoot.  Getting
the "browser's eye view" of my very own modules was *really* fun.
I'd been entirely oblivious of this feature up until now.

Thanks Guido.

Kirby