[Edu-sig] re: 3d in Python

Arthur ajsiegel@optonline.net
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:59:55 -0400

Dethe asks:

>Is there any reason you can't drive VPython with XML-RPC?  Why do you need SVG?

That's really the question I am tryin to get to - is that a possiblity worth investigating.

VPython is all the 3d functionality I really require - though there is always a wish list.

But XML-RPC is little more than an acronym to me at this point.  *If I knew, or at
least had reason to believe, that I could in fact drive VPython remotely
with XML-RPC, I'd dig in.

Can I take you post as an opinion that there is something to be done along these lines?

Can you describe how it might be configured/architected - in very, very broad terms?

Most of the other tools you refer to, I am familiar with.

It was actually through PyOpenGL that I became aware of and involved with using Python.
My interest was in learning to work with the OpenGL API without wading through all kinds
of windowing APIs to get there.  The insanity one needs to go through to get a Windows
window prepared for an OpenGL dot, is almost funny.  Anti-intuitive is an understatment.
The code, to me, looks like a random letter generator at work.

Most of the other apps and APIs you reference are overkill for my needs.
VTK is awesome, but considerably more than I require.

Art

*