[Edu-sig] looking for help with Jython...

Jeffrey Elkner jeff@elkner.net
29 Apr 2003 23:35:34 -0400

I'm in the middle of learning some Java to get ready for next year's AP
CSC course.  I would like to make good use of the Python my students
already know, and I was thinking that Jython might offer some
interesting educational opportunities.

What I would most like to be able to do is to import Java classes into
Python in order to be able to "play around" with them in the
interpreter.  So far, I have not been able to make this work.  I'm
starting with a simple example from our book:

class Vehicle {
    public int passengers;
    public int fuelcap;
    public int mpg;

    public Vehicle(int p, int f, int m) {
        passengers = p;
        fuelcap = f;
        mpg = m;
    }

    public int range() {
        return mpg * fuelcap;
    }

    public double fuelneeded(int miles) {
        return (double) miles / mpg;
    }
}

(Actually, I added all the "public"s because otherwise Jython couldn't
see them when I did:

import Vehicle

How can I create a Vehicle object inside of Jython?

Thanks!

--
Jeffrey Elkner <jeff@elkner.net>
Open Book Project <http://ibiblio.org/obp>