[Edu-sig] Multiple Python installs

Guido van Rossum guido@python.net
Fri Aug 1 20:40:31 EDT 2003

> Anyway, what problems can be anticipated with
> having multiple installs on the same box?

On Unix, the only thing is that you have to decide which interpreter
you want to make the *default* -- that's the one you call "python".
You can always explicitly use "python2.2" or "python2.3".
If you build and install from source, the last "make install"
you do becomes the default, unless you use "make altinstall".
It's easy to fix afterward by using a hard link.

On Windows, similarly the only problem I know of is that if you
double-click a Python script or otherwise run it, the one you installed
last will install itself in the registry as the default Python.
But through the Start menu or by using explicit paths (e.g.
C:\python\python23.exe) you can always force the right interpreter.

(There may be problems I'm not aware of with using Win32all's COM
support; it's probably similar though, the last one installed wins.)

--Guido van Rossum