[Edu-sig] re: Close, but no cigar

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sun Aug 10 01:40:10 EDT 2003

And I am afraid, there is one more *fact* I would like on the record.

I went to the considerable trouble of creating, for Bruces benefit,a
proto-type implementation, fully configured, with Inno Installer, of a
stand-alone VPython in a runtime Python environment.  In other words, an
environment that Bruce could feel free to customize to his heart's content
for whatever perceived needs of himself, his students, other people's
students, etc. and etc. - without disturbing, in viral ways, anybody else's
existing Python installation. And no instructions necessary.

Didn't talk about it.  Did it. Took time.

Without grant funding.

And while there was definite interest in this approach, based on clear
comments from other professors on the list, Bruce never pursued it.  To the
extent that I have no reason to believe he even bothered to download what I
had made available, to see what it did, and how it did it. Not to mention
why.

For the record.