[Edu-sig] Re: [Visualpython-users] re: Close, but no cigar

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sun Aug 10 12:54:46 EDT 2003

Bruce,

a theorectical:

I am a student at another University. And no computer guru myself. But I am
also in a class working with Python, to study scientific and computational
issues.

[Not so theoretical, really. There are many such programs, using a variety
of add-on modules with Python].

I follow instructions at the beginning of the semester, and have everything
running I am supposed to have running.  Wasn't very hard.

Later on, for an independent project, I want to explore doing some
visualization.  VPython is a good starting point, I hear.  Its for mortals.
When its comes to computers, I am very much so.  Download it, and its up and
running easily.  Nice.  But it turns out its not quite what I need. Its too
hard for me, in fact to understand on my own.

Better try something easier.

Let's keep things in good order.

ControlPanel -> Add and Remove Programs -> VPython -> confirm remove.

Back to where I was.

Yikes.

Nothing's running.

Nothing I did this semester works anymore.  My programs can't find something
or other.

Depending on the user, and the error messages he is getting, he may or may
not be able to diagnose the fact that for some crazy reason, installing and
uninstalling VPython has blown away his pre-existing Numeric installation.
Which *his* professor had him download 2 1/2 month ago.  And which as far as
he knew, had nothing to do with VPython (because it doesn't).

So it might not be an easy diagnose.

Bruce?

Too theoretical?

Why do you think so?