[Edu-sig] Numarray, Python and the Universe

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Fri Dec 12 19:31:34 EST 2003

The release of numarray-0.8 was announced today.  Numarray is being
developed as a replacement to/improvement on Numeric.

The announcement brought me to its website:

http://www.stsci.edu/resources/software_hardware/numarray

>..., numarray is sufficiently developed to be useful for a number of
>applications, and is being used in the Hubble Space Telescope data
>processing pipeline (for the Advanced Camera for Surveys) and to develop
>the Cosmic Origins Spectrograph pipeline. PyFITS is also based on it. Most
>of STScI's future astronomical data processing applications will be built
>using its capabilities.

Why does this kind of thing knock my socks off?

Even beyond the fact that it is not a web page templating mechanism.

Art