[Edu-sig] re: Education Arcade

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sun Dec 14 05:21:58 EST 2003

Jim writes -

>And I don't buy the machine:power/kid:schmuck scenario. When kids can
>manipulate a simulation to produce a result, they feel empowered. If the
>result doesn't honor the parameters of the simulation, the kids immediately
>label the developer/machine "lame" -- not themselves.

The medium is the message.  And if "busting out" is not even a possibility,
remind me:  why am I learning to program?

A great learning environment game idea = the goal is to bust out of the
learning environment.

We need to make kids *want* to bust out, not stay in.  I've never seen that
made part of the game. Nor expect I will.

First message of all these environments:  there is no way out.

Art