[Edu-sig] Re: Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science

sdd Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org
Mon Dec 15 15:21:01 EST 2003

Kirby Urner wrote:
> What frustrates me somewhat is that CS1 doesn't really show off the full
> power of Python, and by the time we get to CS2 at Zelle's academy (and I'm
> suspecting this will be somewhat typical), we're on to Java.  The reasoning
> is solid:  real CS majors need exposure to a static-typed language, as well
> as to more than one language.  I have no problem with this reasoning.

What I'd like to see in the CS2 w/ Java course in this sequence is some
display of how to use Jython To exercise and test your Java code.  Often
it is a long time before a programmer actually uses more than a single
language in a project.  By demonstrating this early, you are showing
students how to let a pair of languages to "ply to their strengths."

I'd also like to see a "learning Java with Jython book, but that's
just me.

-Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org