[Edu-sig] re: Alice update

Arthur ajsiegel@optonline.net
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 17:37:26 -0500

>What I read is:

>* Scripting in Alice is done with the Python scripting language so you
>may  want to read the Pyhton Tutorial. [sic -- their typo not mine]

Truthfully, I missed that.

But I had downloaded the new Alice and looked for anything clearly about
scripting in the tutorial or interface or the link to documentation - and
found nothing. The same will generall be true for anyone else who goes
there.

I do now see that there that is a preference to turn on to allow scripting -
which is turned off by default.

I turn it on, try to "edit"  an existing demo world, and am met with a blank
screen. I guess once one invests in learning the Alice api, one can proceed
to type something there.

But the fact is I am wrong.  There is a scripting facility there.

And while I still dislike what I am seeing there, fervently, I guess my
claim that no Python connection is in fact wrong.

Damn.

Arthur