[Edu-sig] Python promises a revolution

Kirby Urner urnerk@qwest.net
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 14:47:58 -0800

At 02:00 AM 2/20/2003 +0000, you wrote:

>I did a Masters dissertation on the last two of these points last year in
>the department
>of physics at the University of Oxford here in the UK. You may find the
>dissertation
>and the teaching materials I produced useful:
>
>http://users.ox.ac.uk/~sann1276/python/
>--
>Michael

I notice you avoid exposing students to the concept of a class,
i.e. the OOP paradigm is put off in favor of a more procedural
approach.  Is this because you think user-defined classes (types)
are too difficult for beginning students, or perhaps simply that
they're less relevant to programming applications in physics?
Or maybe I missed seeing it in your well-organized and clearly
presented tutorial (above).

Kirby