[Edu-sig] PyGeo distribution progress.

Arthur Arthur" <ajs@ix.netcom.com
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 10:12:43 -0500

Let me start my saying that I know Guido is giving the following issue keen
attention, and my understanding is that the issue will go away in 2.3.  Will
be a tremendous help to PyGeo.

But its worth noting, that in the real world, as to PyGeo, the IDLE
situation has *considerably* complicated life .  Particularly since PyGeo
*needs* the forked version, rather than the version distributed with
Python2.2. That is if a user chooses to use IDLE.  And that would be the
most natural and sensible choice for a true newbie.

A look into the IDLE fork mailing list about a week ago seemed to indicate
that the forked version is now encountering some problems running VPython
scripts, and will therefore the same would be true as to PyGeo.  I am sure
this is being attended to.

I guess I will be more proactive and download the current IDLE fork version
(or first see if it is part of 2.3a) and do some testing of PyGeo scripts
with it.

Results to be reported on the IDLE fork list, not here.

Art