[Edu-sig] re: VPython followup

Jason Cunliffe Jason Cunliffe" <jasonic@nomadics.org
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 00:18:34 -0500

> BRUCE SHERWOOD IS NOT THE VPYTHON AUTHOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> VPython is copywrite, David Scherer.

VTHESAURI
oops... Scherer Sherwood Scherxxx
Like I said I've been out of the loop

Art, please..
SHOUTING like this really serves little constructive purpose.
Except to vent your frustrations, which are familiar with.

HARD TIMES
I want to see VPython, PyGeo and any other cool Python apps be easy to install,
but not get in each other's way. It has been extremely frustrating, on Windows
for example installing PIL, Alice, VPython, PyGeo BerkeleyDB, Zope etc.. [Zope
was easy but that's because it installed its own Python.]

Most Python programmers have long ago figured this stuff out, so harder
discussion how/why/what can be so hard for inexperienced beginners.

MISSION POSSIBLE
CP4E has an enduring responsibility to address that cognitive gap.

TALES OF MICE AND MEN
Personally, I've never really sorted it out. My hard disk archive is still
littered with history Python installations. I keep them around to remind me.
Incredibly discouraging at times. Windows registry is partly to blame and that
makes me fucking nuts as its one of those things I never got to grips with.
Check the archives and you'll see. Rather deal with Linux/Apache permissions any
day :-)

Distutils have gone a long way to remedying this.  oh happy day..

ROCKET SCIENCE
But I really think we should take seriously anyone who says they have trouble
installing something. They may be dumb/scared/confused/impatient/ill-informed,
or the teacher may be lacking/preoccupied, or maybe they are simply telling it
like it is: "Houston we have a problem..."

If someone says they got a problem then they do.
Today, Bruce Sherwood indicated Yes and it will get sorted out soon.
All I am asking for is people to step and volunteer help them, since I do not
feel competent.

NEXT GENERATION
I don't care about the history of what's broken.
I am VERY interested in the future of what works.
There many more ahead, than behind who may benefit.

cheers
./Jason