[Edu-sig] re: Losing the plot

Arthur Arthur" <ajs@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 21:08:17 -0500

Patrick was challenging my consecutive post record, so I thought I should
get something up quickly.

Jaime writes -

>Where can I find PyCrust? It would be very insteresting to put a link to
it,
>together with links to PyGeo, Kirby's pages --and others that I must not be
>aware since I new to this list-- in a single page.
>Is there room for that in the edu SIG pages at python.org?

There are projects listed on the edu-sig page, but the page is quite stale
and I'm not sure it is being maintained at all anymore. I've tried a number
of times to have the PyGeo link and description corrected - but to no avail.
There was an earlier PyOpenGL based PyGeo that predated VPython - plus the
web site has changed.
Besides liking for my own reasons to have the correct link,  I do think dead
links are embarassing and give a bad impression.

But its not fully clear to me what you are hoping to do.

But yes it would be great, I think, if we could have sort of a community
site.  (After we work on the community part some more).

One subplot -

As a community, there seems to me to be 2 fundamental threads - those who's
specific interest is in a focused approach to teaching programming as a
subject matter, and those who feel programming can also be introduced
embedded  in other curriculum, an enhancement to other curriculum - but with
the programming understanding hopefully gained in the process something more
than a side effect.

One important thing those two schools of interest seem to have in common -
Python!

Sometimes not much elae.  But that should be OK.

Both schools of interest seem to conclude that Python has unique features to
facilitate the learning process that they are interested in facilitating.

And I don't think there should a problem defining this community broadly
enough to be inclusive of these approaches.

Art