[Edu-sig] re: Where mathematics comes from

Kirby Urner urnerk@qwest.net
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:03:25 -0800

At 10:01 AM 1/28/2003 -0500, Arthur wrote:
> > Must I use IDLE?  Can't I use PyCrust?
>
>PyCrust is an interactive shell.
>
>PyGeo is not designed to work fully from the interactive shell.  In other
>words it does not draw progressively, command by command from the shell.
>
>As it uses VPython for rendering, and VPython does have this facility it is
>probable that I could have designed it to do so.  It would definitely be an
>great enhancement to PyGeo.
>
>I am waiting patiently for you or Patrick to help me figure out how to do it
>;).
>
>Art

You're saying I need a text editor yes?  Gotta write/run whole scripts.
For that I have gVim.

But any script can be run from the shell, provided the code has a
triggering key word, like run() or doit().  I'd like to be able
to go something like:

   >>> from pygeo.examples import *
   >>> islamic6.run()

Then you can put that

   if __name__ = "__main__":  run()

at the bottom of every script, so that the module will run if passed
directly to python on the command line (actually, in XP it'll just
run as a standalone word, thanks to file association -- more like
unix with its all important pound bash notation).

Kirby