[Edu-sig] Re: Least used builtins?

Arthur ajs@optonline.net
Sun, 06 Jul 2003 05:29:42 -0500

Kirby writes -

>What does or doesn't make sense to the newbie is irrelevant.

And an amazing amount of bandwidth has been spent on python-list  on the
"good for newbies" issue.
With much of that discussion inspired, encouraged by Guido.

In fact, my position is not far from yours.  Other than to say that *since
we are arguing the good for newbies issue* anyway - I didn't bring it up -
this is my perspective on that issue, based on my own experience.
Definitely not arguing it should be, at this stage of Python's development,
an overriding design principal.

Have argued quite the contrary, in fact.  And did so quite against the
grain.

Where were you then? ;)

>It's the job of teachers to smooth the on ramp, and in that regard, just
don't teach all the builtins to start
>because they're all builtins doesn't mean each must be tackled in order,
one by one.

Let's not imagine we all have teachers.  I understand, and said, that the
point I am making is only of real significance for the folks undertaking
self-teaching of Python.  Which is probably, at this point, about 98% of the
people who know it.

And most particualrly and significantly for the sub-group who are
self-taught,  with Python as their first language.
If you want, that is my constituency.  I am proud to be their self-appointed
representative.  (You can do that in a land of BDFL's).

>The strikes me as unimaginative, plodding.

pitooey.,

Art