[Edu-sig] Would a simplified Python UI for MiddleSchool students be worth the effort?

John Zelle john.zelle@wartburg.edu
Mon, 07 Jul 2003 15:11:48 -0500

BJ,

This is slightly off from where you're going, but I'm taking a writing
break from my Python textbook at the moment, and happened to see your
post. I've developed a very simply graphics package for my book that is
a thin wrapper over Tkinter. I designed the package for use in intro
courses with a few  goals:

1. Make it really easy for students to draw nice pictures (they love this).
2. Actually teach them something about computer graphics in the process.
3. Teach them about objects while they're at it.
4. Allow them to build (very) simple GUIs with the same package.
5. Don't force them into event-driven programming until they've mastered
some basic programming.

My package is  not turtle-based (although we have implemented turtles in
it as a project and there is some vestigial turtle code in the source),
because goals 1 and 4 are not really served by turtles (and 3 is iffy).
Although it's written for college freshmen, I think the package would be
suitable for middle school students. If you are interested in looking at
this, you can see the version from last fall on my Python page:
http://mcsp.wartburg.edu/zelle/python. If you look at the draft text
there, a section at the end of Chapter 5 that documents the graphics
API. I am currently working on a few updates that go with the new
version of the text. I'll be putting the updated graphics package on the
site soon.

Cheers,

--John